<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/15018076?origin\x3dhttp://junjunjumps.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

JunJunJumps!

Days in the life of JunJun and Beb.... Since we noticed folks were getting whiplash trying to catch up with us, we figured freezing ourselves in time and space would be a good thing. Don't forget to surf the Archives! ;)
 

Semi-fresh off the press.....Performance pix

As my avid readers would remember :) , last October was when I had my first solo performance project for the Watsonville Taiko annual showcase called "Dragon Gate". It is a story written by the director of the Taiko group which depicts the life and times of a carp named Ryu. Ryu in Japanese (in this case) means "dragon" and foreshadows the carp's journey from his little pond to up the waterfalls to pass through the Dragon Gate, and if successful, becomes a beautiful dragon.
It was "semi-improv" wherein I don't really know all the moves I am going to dance to but I do know the times in the music that I wished to convey a certain feeling in movement. Never done it before so it was loads of fun. Much of it all was inspired by my trip to Japan--specifically created in my mind during a visit to the rock gardens of Ryoanji temple in Kyoto.




This was the first piece performed to "Dirt" by SoVoSo which is a soothingly haunting ballad that crescendoes at the end. I try to show Ryu waking up to another day at the pond and becoming active and playful. Beb's mom sewed my pants!

Second piece involved a bit of creativity. The director wanted another solo but this time to one taiko drum and a xylophone. I was in a "cocoon", doing rather very slow movements--almost tai chi like. The lighting is quite more subdued than these pictures so it very much looks like a blob of blue moving on stage. The piece can be interpreted many ways but the crux of it is transformation. I emerge and do more tai chi/martial arts movement. The gorgeous moment of emergence was sounded by the xylophones and the deluge of fog across the theatre's stage--amazing.





Ryu has come out to play with the pearl he sees across the pond, beyond the turbulent waters of the waterfall, where past the rapids lies the Dragon Gate--the gateway to his dream.

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

At 2:18 AM, Blogger Scott said...

Nice pics....sexy outfit too! ;-)    



» Post a Comment
 
   





© 2006 JunJunJumps! | Blogger Templates by Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Learn how to Make Money Online at GeckoandFly