<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/15018076?origin\x3dhttp://junjunjumps.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

JunJunJumps!

Days in the life of JunJun and Beb.... Since we noticed folks were getting whiplash trying to catch up with us, we figured freezing ourselves in time and space would be a good thing. Don't forget to surf the Archives! ;)
 

Hello Kyoto....

With a day all to myself, I hopped onto a train bound for KYOTO!

Out of the station, I got onto a bicycle and headed for all the top spots. First on the list, KIYOMIZUDERA!

After much huffing and puffing through the busy (and tight) streets of Kyoto and up that darn hill, through the old-time village, I made it to the temple gate. I wished I had that motorized bicycle from Nara. Kiyomizudera is very famous for its promontory which is this terrace that has these grandiose views of the mountains and the city of Kyoto. I would come back for the cherry blossoms!


This is the famous spot to shoot the temple.



Notice the line down below? I have forgotten to mention the ritual prior to entering any temple. You will need to purify yourself first. It is done by taking one of these ladles and scooping out some water from the fountain. You wash both hands and your mouth (I take a little sip). It is quite refreshing in the humidity.

Off to another temple..
it was on the way to the temples I wanted to visit and I also wanted to stop and eat my lunch!


..you know the drill...

Freshwater eel!
Sweet little cat who had a crooked tail and leg (probably got ran over). Kept me company during lunch.
The Gion District--no geishas in sight but lots of clubs and cases upon cases of empty bottles of alcohol lined the streets. You know at night this is a PARTY town....I think this is the Palace. Too bad that it was off-limits unless you applied for a permit to visit a few months in advance. Oh well, I just rode around the massive park around it to get to....
..the Golden Pavilion or Kinkakuji!
A sweet couple from London took the shot ;)

I don't remember if it was gold paint or leaf...but it looked good (from afar).

Down the street, was my favorite temple, Ryoanji!












I spent what felt like an eternity here, getting lost in my thoughts as I stared out into the arranged rocks and gravel. Ryoanji is, to me, the epitome of the Japanese aesthetic of purity, modernity, tradition, and simplicity. What is so great about a small garden of rocks? Well, it is because it is a small garden of rocks. You unfold the visage as you see fit and discover for yourself your own world.
I put on my Ipod and listened to SoVoSo's song "Dirt" and melted away into serenity. It also inspired me to choreograph the song for my upcoming improv performance with Watsonville Taiko.

So I took in the scenery and music.
I breathed deeply
then faded
into the wooden floor.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment
 
   





© 2006 JunJunJumps! | Blogger Templates by Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Learn how to Make Money Online at GeckoandFly