So, this is REALLY not a typical week...
So let's start off with my friday rehearsal in Monterey. Squint away to see the snow-capped peaks along side the growing artichokes in Castroville I have snapped en route.



Saturday--woke up early to drive to Brentwood to teach Capoeira. Jess tagged along to visit my folks in nearby Antioch. Check out the white dusting at the Santa Cruz summit off Highway 17. Oh, then we sped to San Jose to catch the Romeo and Juliet ballet with my younger bro and family. Then we jetted to San Francisco's Fillmore district to meet up with good friends, Cindy and Steve, for dinner at La Mediteranee'. Yum!


Something tells me I won't make it to my flight! I was already at the summit when they closed the road. Luckily I was able to turn around and slide meeself back to Felton and had Jess drop me off at the SJ airport. We had to go around the mountain via Watsonville and Gilroy. Needless to say I missed my Dallas flight. From Dallas, I could not get into any flights to Orlando due to the infernal Spring Break. So I bought a ticket to Ft. Lauderdale and drove up to Orlando. I got in around 4 am Monday Morning and I had work at 8 am! Argh.
OK, Monday night flew to Pittsburgh to meet up with clients (in Bridgeville and Carnegie Mellon University) and a dear friend, Mikey. I left sunny and warm Orlando for thunderous lightning shows, drenching rain, and snow dustings. Ironically, it was in the 70s before I got there. I met Mikey when I was doing the summer undergraduate research program in UCSC back in 1998. He helped me out a lot with finding a place to rent (Capitola!) for my college cronies and I am ever grateful. He is very kewl. That is his advisor, Dr. Dave Yaron. They are the brains and brawn behind the free online service, www.chemcollective.org, which brings chemistry to the masses.
We ate at this joint--Primanti--which serves hearty sandwiches with fries and coleslaw--in the sandwich. It was actually quite good.


Amazing azalea bonsai...

Not far from Carnegie, was the PHIPPS conservatory. Great gardens though we missed the Orchid show by a day and they were frantically putting in new plants for Spring--lots of tulips and hyacinths. It was an oasis from the frigid temps outside. Afterwards, we headed to an amazing Asian restaurant called "Spice Island". Fantastic tea salad and curry noodle soup...

Amazing azalea bonsai...

A carpet of hyacinths in bloom...the fragrance was breathtaking.

Hmm, I could have sworn there was no "R". Oh well, I would love to use "pseudobombax" in a sentence one day maybe like "don't make me open up a can of pseudobombax on you!":)

Mikey!

There and back again, A Hobbit's tale by Orlando of the Rings...

Working at the conference...woopee.

Me in LAX, ready for just one more flight home (after some delay due to some mechanical problems). So got home and Jess and I went to the Tea House for a well-deserved soak/sauna and massage. Does my hunny know me or what? Next day, stayed home to work and had rehearsal again in Monterey. Supposed to go to Tahoe for Newman but we opted not to squeeze ourselves and our luggage as sardines in a SUV. So we took to the beach, had sandwiches, and headed home. Saturday we went up to SF to go apartment hunting--sticker shock there! Stayed the night (for free) in Oakland's waterfront. Sunday, drove to Redwood City and Mountain View to look at more listings.
Whew....
Whew...
Whew..
Plop.






» Post a Comment