<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/15018076?origin\x3dhttp://junjunjumps.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

JunJunJumps!

Days in the life of JunJun and Beb.... Since we noticed folks were getting whiplash trying to catch up with us, we figured freezing ourselves in time and space would be a good thing. Don't forget to surf the Archives! ;)
 

Last days in Tokyo...

Yes, I do work. I just don't as many pictures when working as it is a bit awkward brandishing the camera in front of your coworkers. Off to Yokohama today to visit the branch office which was huge.


View from my room. Yes, the window was left intact. That is my view of Yoyogi park and beyond is the fashion mecca of Harajuku and Omotesando. I will be there soon enough.

First, off to Yokohama. A mere 45 minutes from Tokyo, it was easy to get to by train. It is a well-known port and has a large Chinatown. I unfortunately did not get to visit it but was treated to a chinese meal at a tiny restaurant. I had the mabo tofu which was not bad but not really worth noting. Next!
So I gave a presentation to fellow colleagues, had lunch, and went back. They were unable to arrange a customer visit so I was free! Onto Harajuku!



What is there to say about Harajuku? Gwen Stefani captured it best "it is where the catwalk got its claws....MEOW!!!" Here you will find everything from low to high-end fashihon and merchandise and tons of stuff in between. If you want to innovate, this place was where you can find that inspiration. Needless to say, I got a few things...
Amidst it all, a counterbalance -- a shrine.


The shops in the sidestreets of Harajuku are the most interesting as they are ensconced between homes and have very limited frontspace so every nook and cranny is arranged beautifully to maximally attract the visitors. This shop was at the end of a narrow walkway, but the parasol drew my eye.



My dear friends I met in Australia -- Mihoko and Hiroshi! They were so cool to drop by my hotel to have some drinks. They are doing quite qell with Hiroshi working in real estate and Mihoko still teaching piano and preparing for her recital next month. How I wish I could be there. Gunbatte yo! You two are just too cool.

I escorted them to the train station and loved to take a bit of a stroll. These ubiquitous dispensers are everywhere. Beautiful to look at at least..

My hotel

Yukatas or summer kimonos have been popular with the younger folks with new and innovative designs. I wanted this gauzey kimono with printed skulls on it but it was about 400 dollars which could not justify! I would have to wear it longer than a few days a year. This was at a uber-rich store called Takashimaya and their kimono section was gorgeous. The permutations on the types of fabrics to all the accessories and accoutrements were endless and beautiful. I could spend serious money hanging out there so I clenched my teeth and escaped.

Oh bowl of soba, comfort me...

This is a shop in Shibuya. Nice sandals, eh?

Ok guys, you know who you are and you know who she is. Apparently her latest CD is coming out and it is a smash. I just downloaded a single on iTunes and have it on repeat. Sigh.

Shopping in Shibuya is crazier than Harajuku. This mega complex called 109 was all about the j-rock look. Guys were all starting to look the same with the orange spikey hair, thin bodies, pointy shoes, and tons of accessories. This was one shop dedicated to all things leather. The two boys (one was a clerk) ignored me while they gawked at new things to wear.

Shibuya!
Fune no Kagakukan building in Odaiba. So I heard of this onsen in Tokyo from Mihoko and I wanted to find out if it is any good. I got off one station early so here I was in front of a building built like a boat beside an empty water park in the middle of a desolate area -- no good.

Then in the distance...
Remember the famous Hayao Miyazaki anime "Spirited Away"? That is what this scene reminds me of. This is the famous Oedo Onsen Monogatari on the Odaiba island (got lost at first but should remember to get off at the Telecom station). It is literally a bath house with an Edo-style village inside! You walk around in your summer kimonos or yukatas to enjoy the town--eating, shopping, playing edo-style games, and then head to the same sex baths. Sorry, but no pics allowed there but let me tell you that the waters were quite nice. There were several therapeutic baths of varying temps and even outside ones. You can also get a sand bath or massages or saunas. If you feel the need to unwind, I will take you here. After 6 pm, the entry ticket is discounted to around 16 bucks from 35 bucks. You pay your entry fee and you get a wrist badge (they scan it for any items or services you incur inside) and a yukata of your choice to wear. Then off you go into town (which was inside a building)...




Hungry after shopping, guess what I had for dinner? I figured cold soba before a hot bath is perfect.

The baths were glorious. I am definitely coming back. I had to cool down a bit with some ice cream. I then headed into town to check out the stores.
Wait...I ordered another one :)

This place is magical. I felt transported back in time. Ok, you still know you inside a building, but there are moments wherein you felt that you indeed were in Edo long time ago. I loved it. I was smiling ear-to-ear and felt so good after the therapeutic baths and food in my tummy. No wonder these folks love the onsens as they are amazing places to unwind from the hustle of the metropolis outside. Next time will be a real onsen area but I sure will miss this village scene.

I think I am going to watch Spirited Away when I get back home to revive and refresh my memories.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment
 
   





© 2006 JunJunJumps! | Blogger Templates by Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Learn how to Make Money Online at GeckoandFly